Friday, August 1, 2008

If This Ever Happens, I'm Ready...

So I mentioned back in June that I got myself a Rubik's cube, and I learned (from the instructions) how to solve it.

But! Over the last month or so, I've figured out a few "algorithms" on my own. These are sequences of moves that produce a specific effect on the orientation of the squares. In particular, I figured out an eight-move algorithm that swaps the positions of three edge squares--two on opposite sides of the center face, and the third on the far back edge of the top face.

Well, having figured out this algorithm, I've been able to create my own solution sequence. Not that I claim that it's original; I suspect zillions of people have discovered it before me. And to be fair, my solution incorporates a couple of the algorithms from the solution sequence in the instruction booklet. Nevertheless, it has removed at least a smidgen of the shame that I mentioned back in June.

I own this cube.

...

Enter today's XKCD comic strip, which is probably Not Safe For Work.

I tell you, if my wife ever gets stuck in one of those, I'm ready for it. ;-)

4 comments:

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

This is why I keep a utility knife in the bedside table.

Unknown said...

I've been blessed. While we have a few Rubik's cubes in this house, we do not have any of those goofy contraptions that the cube is attached to in the comic. I sometimes wonder whether or not I can still unsnap one of things with one hand, without looking, like I used to, but I have faith that that skill is like riding a bike. The odds are, I'll never need it. Yeah, she lets the girls roam...

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

Oh my. This blog has reached a whole new level!

So arby...you guys must take interesting bike rides. :)

Timothy Power said...

Really, I'm trying to think of something else to add to the conversation, and I'm not coming up with anything.

...Except that Big Doofus' first comment somehow inspires the coinage of the word "lingeriectomy."

So, Arby: Hmm. You sure this is something your woman doesn't mind you sharing? I mean, if I was in your place, after describing that, I should be relieved for my sake that my wife was deployed halfway around the world...

So, um... you think I should practice the Rubik's cube one-handed, just in case? ;-)