Sunday, August 24, 2008

There Is No Canning of Fruit In Heaven

Yesterday I wrote about how my wife and I have been harvesting and preserving fruit and vegetables now for so many months, that we don't want to look at another fresh fruit for a while--let alone try figure out what to do with it.

Well, in church this morning, as my wife and I were trying to keep our kids from wiggling too much, the preacher was preaching the last sermon in a series he's been doing on the book of Revelation. And we'd gotten to the last two chapters in the book, which give a description of paradise. He was reading (from Revelation 22, with emphasis by me):
Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city. On either side of the river is the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, producing its fruit each month; and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations....
Aaaaaaauuughhhh! There's no escape!

At this point, Tonya and I looked at each other in wide-eyed fear, before dissolving into fits of giggles. And then as we regained our composure, from across the auditorium I saw my sister-in-law turned around and looking at us, with knowing, mocking laughter on her face.

A tree that produces a full crop of fruit every month! Good Heavens (pun not intended, but clearly fortuitous). What are they going to do with it all?

Of course, if the tree does produce fruit each month, then there really isn't any reason to do all that canning and dehydrating and jelly-making, is there? So we're fine there, I suppose....

2 comments:

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

That's exactly what I was going to conclude. No need to can or preserve when you have a magical fruit tree that produces year-round.

It's too bad that we cannot preserve a vine-ripe Indiana tomato--the ones that grow in my back yard. I know that we only have about a month left to enjoy them.

Lady W said...

God makes preserves and protects us...