Monday, August 18, 2008

Oooh! Ooh! I Need One of These!

Ok, so apparently there's a contingent out there who thinks I need to blog less.

Well, maybe they're right. The other option, of course, is that I could write more posts of reduced quality! This shall be one of those posts.

I saw this the other day, and decided that I needed one. Behold:
Bow before the total awesomeness that is the solar powered necktie.

Man, I need one of these.

Of course, it doesn't matter that I don't have an I-Pod to plug into it. Nor does it matter that I don't have an I-Phone. Or, um... any cell-phone, for that matter. I don't even have a laptop, not that I'm convinced you could actually charge one of those from this tie. (And given the problem that Dell had a few years back with exploding batteries, I'm not sure that would be such a wise course of action anyway. Can we say, "spontaneous human combustion?") I do have a digital camera, but aside from that, I'm a total Luddite.

And for that matter, I usually only wear ties at church, or at special events like job interviews. And I can't imagine needing to charge my camera in either setting. Though I admit, such a tie would probably impress the interviewers at the kinds of places I would be looking for jobs. And, come to think of it, it would impress our preacher too...

So what good is it?

Wrong question. Try: why does it have to be good at anything? It's just freakin' cool. That's why I need it; coolness is its own reason for existing.

N.B. My ever-practical spouse has some suggestions: if you've got solar-power-generating fabrics, why not work it into a coat? Or a hat? It would seem that these things would be getting more sun than a tie anyway, and you can wear them in more places. Hm. She may have a point about the coat, at any rate; but I'm not so sure about going around in public with appliances plugged into one's head....

No comments: