Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bidding A Fond Farewell To A Fellow Blogger

A couple of days ago I discovered that I couldn't open up the site for Arby's Archives. Well, I thought, the Internet doesn't always work the way it should; sometimes sites are down, and sometimes routers blow gaskets.

But his site stayed down for a couple of days, so I started to get a little concerned. So I contacted Arby.

Alas, Arby has decided to stop blogging. He has removed his blog, and he indicated that I should remove my now-broken sidebar link to him.

So Arby's Archives has Slipped the surly bonds of Earth, Reached out its hand and touched the face of God, and all that. Forsooth.

What Arby didn't say was why he decided to stop blogging. This being the internet and all, that means we're all permitted to engage in uninformed speculation. Was it:
  1. That he was overcome by a general sense of nihilism and ennui, resulting in chronic writers' block?
  2. Was he concerned that after our new Overlords are elected next week, people who say unenlightened things on the internet are going to be rounded up into camps (and not the kinds with canoes and s'mores)?
  3. That The Boss somehow came across this comment (referring to this comic strip)--or one of hundreds more just like it he has no doubt scattered across the internet--and decided that her husband wasn't actually safe around computers?
Alas, the true reason shall probably remain forever an mystery, shrouded in the mists of tragic, poetic obscurity. Unless, of course, Arby just decides to drop in and tell us.

Ah, well. Arby, I just wanted to let you know that I nearly always enjoyed what you had to say, and the way that you said it. It's obvious that you love your family, that you love your chickens (except when they get too loud), that you think the Cubs need a goat, and that you possess an amused contempt of Bureaucracy. That makes you all right in my book, even if you do come from Chicago.

No comments: