Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Daughter Thinks Like Tevye!

I love the show "Fiddler on the Roof." And in particular, I love the relationship that the main character, Tevye, has with God. For the most part, he doesn't do set-piece prayers in the ritualistic fashion: "Dear Lord in Heaven, Hallowed Be Your Name...." No, he just starts up regular-guy conversations with Him. He might say things like: "So, was my life so uncomplicated that You decided to stir things up this morning? You know, you could really be of some help if you would heal my horse's hoof--or at least not make it worse again."

And I like the way that he's rooted in reality. When presented with the opinion of a young student radical, that "Wealth is the world's curse," he utters an oath (paraphrased): "Then may the Lord strike me down with this curse, and may I never recover!"

I always liked this formulation....

Well, my sick eldest daughter--who's never seen Fiddler on the Roof--produced a similar verbal formulation while preparing for her bedtime prayers: "I wish God would strike me with wellness."

You know, I like it. Lord! I beseech Thee that Thou wouldst smite me with good health! Crush me under thy generous, benevolent hand!


...


You know, I sometimes wonder about the theological framework that is forming in her mind, piece by piece, as we try to explain things as they come up in conversation. Sometimes we do pretty well, and sometimes we come off like Calvin's Dad. I remember how last year she was wondering whether God was going to make some puppies in our yard. Well, today she was wondering about Mommy's pregnancy: specifically, why.

"Mommy, why are you pregnant again?"

Good question! Sometimes, especially days like this, I need reminding myself. :-)

Well, at least she didn't ask how. This is one of those topics--at least until they're a little older--where it's best not to answer more than they ask. ;-)

So Mommy told her that God has decided to bless us with another little baby.

And the Pillowfight Fairy asked whether Mommy was OK with that. Mommy said that yes, she was OK with God's decision, and asked, "Don't you think it would be nice to have another little baby around here?"

Then with insight well beyond her years, the Pillowfight Fairy commented:

"It's going to be crazy around here."

Yes, indeedy. In fact, I've been reflecting on this fact a lot lately, especially as we've been dealing with all the coughing and sneezing that's been going on... :-(

No comments: