Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Now That's a Snowblower

Long-time readers of this site know that I'm just fascinated by siege engines.

And I'm even more fascinated by those siege engines that are still being built today by hobbyists. Yeah, there's no practical reason to build a catapult or a spud cannon in your backyard, but for me, this mundane objection doesn't obscure the fact that these things are totally freakin' awesome.

And I occasionally threaten to build a trebuchet myself. After all, the Pillowfight Fairy will be in second grade next year, and according to The Well Trained Mind, that's the appropriate year to teach about the history of the Middle Ages during the grammar stage. It would be educational!

I don't think my wife is swayed much by this line of reasoning, but it's worth a shot, anyway.

Well, although I tend to lean toward the "old school" way of doing things, I still appreaciate more modern approaches to the fine arts of chucking things long distances--especially when someone can make the excuse that their little inventions actually have a practical use.

And with that in mind, take a look at this Popular Science column.

The Canadian dude who crafted that behemoth (around a big-block V8, no less) is seriously hard-core about his snowblowing. I'd love to see that thing in action some day.

Alas, it would be wasteful to declare "I Want One!" when I live in California's Central Valley.

No ammunition, after all. :-(

No comments: