Sunday, March 2, 2008

What's On My Desk: Abandon Hope, Ye Who Enter Here

So I got tagged for another internet meme. Actually, I tagged Chris from A Mountain Homeschool for the thing about sordidness, in response to his tagging me with a meme about posting a paragraph from whatever I'm reading; and then he tagged me yet again! Chris, I still owe you another tag.

It occurs to me that these internet memes and "tagging" could eventually become the death of blogging as a phenomenon. Consider: someone starts a meme; it goes to five people, then twenty-five, then one hundred twenty-five, then six hundred twenty-five, then three thousand one hundred twenty-five... And pretty soon the whole internet is awash with lists of sordid things, and populated by people who've brought seven years' bad luck upon themselves because they ran out of people to tag to keep it going.

(Although I suspect that people who intentionally break the "Sordid" meme, like my dear sister-in-law, have thereby consigned themselves to seven years' good luck.)

Ahem.

So I've been exhorted to answer the question, "What's on your desk?" The rules:
You can tell a lot about a person by the state of their desk and what they keep on it. So, share what's on your desk. You can take pictures, take an inventory, or do both. Don't have a desk? That's okay, just give us a glimpse into the space where you pay bills, write letters, grade papers, study, or work on the computer.

When you've finished your photos or inventory, post it on your blog and tag five more people to do the same. Don't forget to share the rules with those you tag and ask them to share their posts with you when they are done.
Well. I'm not so sure why Chris is so gung-ho about this, having done two full-length posts describing the contents of his work spaces in detail that would make Roseanne Roseannadanna proud. Not that I'm complaining, mind you; at least we've got him blogging again. ;-)

I, however, will not be quite so systematic. Here's the picture of the table where we have the Pillowfight Fairy do her craft projects, when she can actually find the table:

No, I will not attempt to inventory the contents of this table. As the son of two math professors, I'll follow their example and leave that as an exercise to the reader.

(Oh, by the way: that big sign to the right of the table was made by my older brother way back in his drama days; he had to make "flats", as they are called, in one of his set design classes. He let me snag it from him many moons ago. We'd put it in the dining room, but there's no available wall space there.)

And here's a picture of my lovely bride working at the computer. (Actually, in the original unedited photo, you can see that she's actually at the blogger.com website, writing this post.)


Nothing fancy about this. We've got a whole lot of junk piled up, but we've pushed as much of it away from the edge as we can so the Happy Boy can't get it and eat it.

Again, I'll not do a full inventory; but I will point out one thing. Notice that pink bin sitting under the light? The one that's sitting on a pile of homeschooling materials, which in turn are sitting on top of our scanner? Um... the family has been fighting off a bug the last two weeks or so, and there's been some tummy queasiness involved. We decided it was wise to keep a portable bin handy in case a sick girl on the sofa decided she couldn't make it to the bathroom in time. Note that, in case the need were to arise, we would grab the bin and take it to the girl, instead of bringing a nauseated girl over to where we keep the scanner and printer....

Anyway: regarding the tagging of five more people, I think I'll do my part to save the internet! Save the bloggers! and um... not. Especially not after inflicting all that sordidness on the people I love....

No comments: