Friday, November 23, 2007

Day of Rest

If you can stand a little more meta-blogging, this is a post to say that I don't have a whole lot to say. We're still digesting yesterday's meal.

It's been a while since we've had a true day of rest. For the last several months, every time we've had a day off, I've used it to work on the Never-Ending Backyard Project. Well, since we finally have all the stones in place, I decided not to try to go on to the next phase yet, and just spend the day loafing. (Ok, I did mow the lawn--but I actually find mowing to be a relaxing experience. And Tonya went to the mall--on this, the most fearsome shopping day of the year--but she actually found it a relaxing experience too, because all the kids were at home with Daddy, and she could actually find something like solitude (ironically, in the middle of really, really big crowds. But at least they were adult crowds. O.K., there were plenty of kids, but they weren't hers).

Turns out the guy who came to fix our 'fridge really did save our bacon, literally; so we fried it up for lunch today. The kids had somehow gotten the unusual notion into their heads that they needed pancakes for lunch. Well, it was a quiet, relaxing morning, so I thought: why not? So I made up a bunch of pancakes, and then fried up the bacon, which was still good. Oh, it was so, so, so, good....

Sometimes it's worthwhile to spend a day doing a whole lot of nothing.


P.S. I have to make a correction to an earlier post. I said in my post on Beowulf that the Old English word ða eventually became the Modern English word the. Turns out, this isn't correct. The word ða eventually became the modern word though; but it actually meant either then or when, depending on the order of the words that followed it. Just thought you might need to know that. :-)

1 comment:

Chris said...

At some point the similarities need to stop. I too am a fan of the annual Bulwer-Lytton Awards. Worse yet, we had pancakes for lunch on Friday and basically goofed off all day. OK, no bacon, no mall-shopping, and no lawn-mowing (since I have no grass). At least we're not mirror images!

Glad you had a great holiday, and that the fridge issue was relatively inexpensive to fix. Our fridge is at least 25 years old and I fear we're on borrowed time. Unfortunately, the one my wife has been admiring is the stainless steel, french door "hot new thing" at Home Depot that costs more than my first car.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Chris