Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The 105th Carnival of Homeschooling is up!

Over the last few weeks I haven't been involved much with homeschooling. Mainly, I've been fighting off colds, handling Christmas for a grumpy family, trying to get crunchy vehicles home without getting arrested, and so forth. In the meantime I haven't been writing much about our homeschooling, I haven't been posting to the Carnivals of Homeschooling, and I haven't posted any links to them.

But I'm back! For now, anyway. The 105th Carnival of Homeschooling (Second Anniversary!) is up over at Why Homeschool.

My post entitled Vertical vs. Horizontal Socialization is featured.

There's a lot of other good stuff there. I particularly liked this post on how to introduce Great Literature to young children. Her strategy? Beat it to death. She starts with abridged children's versions with really pretty pictures; then, when they get familiar with those, she gives them versions that are a little more advanced, then a little more.... Eventually, her kids are so familiar with the story that they aren't fazed by the originals. It's an intriguing idea, I think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I probably had my home "education" which was the farthest away from your concepts as one can possibly be...but...I remember at 3 or 4 that my folks had this set of (I believe) World Encyclopedias, and remember Vol. V, which had amazing pictures of classical artwork and European statues. I nearly wore that volume out. I eventually let a cousin "borrow" it, and never got it back. I don't think it matters HOW a child is exposed to the classics...it matters more that they simply ARE exposed in any form! For me, I thank God for the libraries I frequented from the age of 4 on...and the wise librarians who guided me in the "adult section" when I was only 12. I had already read everything in the children's section!

M said...

Thanks for the link! I'll update on how well the strategy worked when we go to see The Magic Flute next week.

Love to try some of your board game ideas too! My 5-year-old wants nothing to do with them!