Monday, January 21, 2008

Alas, All We Got Here Was Hail

In a recent post, I said the following--in reference to the fact that the city of Baghdad had just been hit with a freak snowstorm, for the first time in about a century:
Very, very briefly this week, I found myself wishing I was in Baghdad rather than here. As you may imagine, the feeling went away very quickly. Still, I found that to be one of the happiest news stories I've seen in a long time.
Well! It appears that I need not have wished vicariously for such an exotic experience. Had my family and I not relocated to Sacramento from our previous home in Silicon Valley, we would have gotten to experience the wondrous white stuff ourselves. From the AP:

The caption accompanying this photo is "Hallie Faust, 5, of Palo Alto, Calif., plays during a rare snowfall in Saratoga, Calif., Monday, Jan. 21, 2008."

To be sure, this isn't as rare as the Baghdad snowstorm, but you don't need quite as much a sense of adventure to go enjoy it...

1 comment:

Tonya Power said...

After living in Silicon Valley for 30 years, I remember it snowing exactly twice. It seems to happen about every 20 years. It doesn't last long though.