Thursday, October 25, 2007

Another Spoonerism

Well! My friend Jason (the very same who Googled the answer to my trivia queston about Valkyries last month), saw my earlier post about spoonerisms, and decided to send me a link to his favorite one.

The video clip is of a youth minister named Blake Bergstrom, who was giving a sermon to a whole bunch of high-schoolers. The theme of his sermon, so far as I can tell, involves keeping ourselves far away from the temptations that our culture has for us; not putting ourselves in positions where we can be easily drawn by our peers into immoral courses of action. And the Biblical passage he was using was the one in the book of Genesis, where Abraham is dividing the land between himself and his nephew Lot. Lot, of course, took the better-looking land, and pitched his tents toward the wicked cities of Sodom and Gomorrah (which God would later destroy with fire and brimstone).

He couldn't quite get the words "pitched his tents" right. I should warn you, the result is not language that we Christians should be using on an everyday basis. But man, was it funny.

And I have to say, after the fact (both onstage, and in his written explanation at the linked post) he shows himself to be a pretty classy guy. I've decided that I like him, and not just because he delivered one of the classic spoonerisms of all time.

1 comment:

The McMullen Family said...

Ohhhh, I'm going to have to share that one with my father, I'm afraid. Thanks... that was just hi-larious.

Although, thinking about it, that one only really works if you pronounce "tents" as "tints," which of course some people do (but not generally people from Oakland, CA).