Thursday, October 11, 2007

Literary contemplation

So the Pillowfight Fairy, after doing much reading of the books that we picked up at the library today, was sketching on a Magna-Doodle.

"See this butterfly? Soon it will have oobleck on it."

...

It's been a while since I've read that book. As I read it, it occurred to me that it would actually make a pretty good movie--probably better than any other Dr. Seuss-inspired movie made to date.

Especially if it was directed by someone like Tim Burton.

And the Fairy? She's started to think up some pretty gruesome ideas lately, of which oobleck on the butterfly is but one example among many. So, do you think this is just a natural thing, or is it a result of me reading all those Norse myths and Grimm's Fairy Tales to her? (Not that those options are mutually exclusive, of course.)

1 comment:

Chris said...

On that subject, I have to confess I take not a small amount of (sick) pleasure at the expression on people's faces (particularly my mother-in-law) when DD1 cites some odd reference. It was particulary rich when she (in the MIL's presence) recollected the story of the Cyclops eating Odyseus' friends. Not normal table conversation from a 5 year old. But when we started studying Ancient Greece 2 years later, she immediately remembered that story.